A good VPN or Virtual Private Networks are quite a rage these days with security becoming a major issue on public networks. VPN not only allows you to browse through the Internet with more security but it is quite a different technology altogether. Basically, VPN services encrypt all the information sent by you to other systems and does the same to the information you receive from others. It is a secure service for ensuring secrecy and keeping your personal information safe.
There are numerous things that make a good VPN service and mostly depend on your need and usage. The following points would be helpful if you want to choose a good VPN:
1. Protocol Type – There are many VPN protocols and they all have their pros and cons. All of them provide top security and encryption services but they depend on your demands as well. SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) is the most common protocol used. They are practically invisible to the user. Hence, it doesn’t really matter much if you consult an expert because you won’t understand the technicality of it as a layman.
2. Service And Exit Locations – This depends on the purpose of using VPN as well. Your VPN service should have many servers spread over various locations. If you are concerned about privacy issues and snooping in your state, your VPN service has to cater to that.
Basically, the idea is that if your server is located in your own country, you are bound by the rules of the country and might be forced by laws to reveal your data. Also, if your purpose for having VPN is location related, make sure the VPN service has servers based in the country you have business in.
3. Logging Policies – Logging into a VPN’s secure server protects you from the snooping public or outside networks but not from networks within your VPN system. Hence, it is always prudent to check your VPN service provider’s policies on logging if this point is a concern with you.
4. Anti-Spyware And Malware Services – You have to know that simply using a VPN doesn’t protect you from the usual threats of the Internet, namely spyware and malware. If you download a virus on your system, it would still be able to wreck your computer. Hence, many VPN service providers offer anti spyware and malware services to protect their users from such issues.
5. Price for the Service – There are two types of VPN services – one is the free one and the other is the paid one. The free ones are helpful if you don’t mind a lot of ads and are not so concerned about your security. If you just want a budgeted way to get more security than usual services, they are the way to go for you. However, if you require better services, always go for the paid ones.
You should read the privacy statements carefully before subscribing to a VPN service. It is an upcoming and ever improving system that everyone can try. We have previously posted an article about the best VPN you can use for browsing the Internet safely.